In this article
Summary and video
During contract review, lawyers need to determine whether the existing terms or clauses within a set of contracts comply with a set of policies.
How Contract Policy Compliance helps: This skill reviews up to 100 contracts to determine whether the existing terms, clauses, or provisions comply with up to 30 different policies.
How Contract Policy Compliance works: Upload contracts, then enter your policies. You may also enter sample policy terms or clauses to help CoCounsel understand your drafting preferences. CoCounsel reads every word in the contracts, identifies clauses that are relevant to your policies, explains the differences between the contracts’ existing terms and your policies, and then suggests redline edits to bring the contracts’ existing terms into compliance with your policies.
1. Launch Contract Policy Compliance. Go to the skills menu and select “Contract Policy Compliance.”
2. Upload the contracts. The upload window will appear. Upload up to 100 contracts from your device or drag and drop files, choose previously uploaded files from the dropdown (pictured), or select “See other upload options” to choose contracts from an AllSearch database. Then click “Enter policies.”
Tip: To learn how to use AllSearch databases, visit How do I use AllSearch?
3. Enter policies. Enter policies by typing, copying and pasting, or choosing previously entered policies from the dropdown menu. You may also click “+” to enter a sample policy term or clause to help CoCounsel understand your particular drafting preferences. This is a working space where you can add, edit, or delete policies and sample clauses. Then click “Analyze contract(s).”
Tip: The Contract Policy Compliance skill does not access Casetext’s database of primary law. To determine if a contract’s existing terms comply with a certain statute, regulation, or code, enter each law as a separate policy. For more information about what source of information CoCounsel uses for each skill, visit “How does CoCounsel work?”
4. Watch CoCounsel’s progress.
5. Contract Policy Compliance is Complete. Click the chat box to see the full response, or mouse-over the chat box for buttons to Download Redlined Docs (available when the original contract uploaded to CoCounsel is a Word Document), Download CoCounsel’s responses as a Word Document or Excel Spreadsheet, or Copy CoCounsel’s results to paste somewhere else.
6. See the full response. The full response will include the policies and sample clauses from the original request and CoCounsel’s responses. To review them, click a contract from the document column, then select a policy. For each policy, CoCounsel will:
Identify clauses in the existing contract that are relevant to your policy
Explain the differences between the contract’s existing terms and your policy
Suggest a redline edit to bring the contract’s existing terms into compliance with your policy
Provide a clean, revised clause that you can use immediately
Use CoCounsel’s Results: Download Redlined Docs (available when the original contract uploaded to CoCounsel was a Word Document), Download CoCounsel’s responses as a Word Document or Excel Spreadsheet, or Copy CoCounsel’s results to paste somewhere else.
How did we do? We do not train CoCounsel’s AI with your interactions. We do read all of your feedback! Give a quick 👍 or 👎 + comment.
Tip: Redline edits show up as tracked changes in Microsoft Word documents, but also in Apple Pages documents (pictured).
.doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt, and .zip folders
Files within a .zip folder must comply with file size and type limitations.
500 MB .pdfs
20 MB text files
30 policies and sample clauses
TIP: If you have files that exceed the size limit, CoCounsel will reject the file. Divide the files into batches of 100 files or less before uploading.
Unlimited relevant results.
Sample prompts to illustrate best practices for prompting
Instead of asking CoCounsel to redline clauses which do not comply with your choice of law provision, give CoCounsel the policy as an instruction.
All agreements should include a governing law provision that specifies that the agreement is governed by Georgia law and that the Federal or state courts situated in Fulton County, Georgia have exclusive jurisdiction over the resolution of all disputes that arise under the agreement.
Give CoCounsel a concise prompt for the policy, and then give it more information in your sample clause.
Policy: Any anti-assignment provisions should be mutual and should authorize assignment in a merger, acquisition, or other change of control.
Sample Clause: Assignment. Neither party may assign this Agreement or any of its rights or obligations hereunder, either voluntarily or by operation of law, without the other's express written consent, except that either party may assign this Agreement to the surviving entity in a merger of that party into another entity or in an acquisition of all or substantially all its assets. No assignment of this Agreement becomes effective unless and until the assignee agrees in writing to be bound by all the assigning party's obligations in this Agreement. Any assignment in violation of this section is void.
Instead of telling CoCounsel that the contract must comply with applicable laws (it cannot perform research), be specific as to what language satisfies this policy.
The contract must contain a covenant requiring the parties to comply with applicable statutes, rules and regulations.