Use this technique to help narrow your search to cases where a particular judge was involved.
- Set your jurisdiction to the judge's court
- Enter your keyword search query into the search
- At the end of your keyword search query, enter judge: followed by the judge's last name
This judge: search technique will show you:
- Cases where the judge authored the order/opinion
- Cases where the judge provided or was associated with a concurring opinion
- Cases where the judge provided or was associated with a dissenting opinion
TIP: Common Last Names
If your judge has a common last name, try searching for his/her full name in quotes:
Note: that this will exclude opinions in which only the judge's last name is listed.
TIP: Supreme Court (SCOTUS) Opinions
To find opinions where a specific justice delivered the opinion of the U.S. Supreme Court, use the following technique:
- Format: "Justice LASTNAME delivered the opinion of the Court"
- Example search: discrimination AND "Justice Ginsburg delivered the opinion of the Court"